I have been married for a long time. My husband works out of town, and I am not working due to my health problems in the last few years. I have had several surgeries in the last 3 years and last year was the worst. I was very ill but now I am better. My problem is I am so unhappy and sad all of the time. I feel a lot of resentment toward my husband and I feel like our marriage is doomed. I am not happy when he comes home, and we are both very distant toward each other. He does not want to do anything when he is here, we argue all of the time, and I don't know what to do. I am so unhappy... I love him but I am miserable. We can't have a normal conversation without it ending in a fight. I have been through so much and I don't know what to do. Do I want a divorce? I don't know. I know I don't want to live like this any longer. We have been married for 20 yrs.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.