My girlfriend is a lovely person, beautiful, someone I can laugh with, have a good time, just be happy with. I'm completely in love... But she has a temper, and it can be triggered by the smallest comment, that would be casual to someone else. She has a history of family abuse, family dysfunction (and it still continues), she's been raped, beat by boyfriends, when she was younger she experimented with drugs, everything imaginable and terrible has happened to her, and continues. She will not see a doctor, and explains to me that her anger is not really anger, but sadness. Also she doesn't want to get angry, but she does and can not control it. I myself used to have an anger problem, but I over came it when I was younger, but unfortunately do not know how to help her, and I've been trying for 2 years :( Is there anything I can do that does not include medical help?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.