Recently, my parents and I have gotten into a brutal fight. I had told one small lie and my mother believes I've done things I could never imagine doing. I totally admit it was my fault and I've apologized many times but nothing's working. My mother also claimed that I'm a mental stress on her and nothing can be done about me. I personally think I'm not that bad of a person. I have a 3.8 GPA, I love helping people and giving advice, and I've always listened to my parents except for this one lie.
I am only a teenager and I feel as if I'm losing a mother. I've also begun cutting myself and I can't control my emotions any longer. The reason I cut myself is that I feel my mother is getting a stress relief every time I hurt myself. Is there anything that can be done? I have become very depressed and it has been affecting my grades. My mother and I haven't talked in weeks.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.