I have a 19 year old son that I will not let move back in with me because he is very mouthy to the point of cursing at my husband and myself. He has also quit the 4 jobs in the past two years within months of getting these jobs.
All he seems to want to do is get high on majuana or get drunk. His grandmother had taken him this past Monday and the very next day he was supposed to job hunt. Instead, he got drunk and stole some of her change. She told him he had to leave and, honestly, I do not blame her. I also had warned her about my son before she had taken him in. He left my house on his own because he did not want to follow the rules that were: 1. Get a job 2. Save money to get out on his own since he had dropped out of high school.
My question is, am I doing the right thing by not letting him back into my home until he can prove that he is going to be resposible? He is now on the streets and it is getting cold.
Thank you for your advice.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.